Image Map

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Teacher Tuesday: hand drum storage


Getting this set up has been a simple but life-changing solution for me (and for my students)! Does anyone else deal with cascading hand drums? I know I did. You know, you stack them up with the smaller ones inside the bigger ones, but when the students go to put them back they have a really difficult time figuring out how to fit them inside each other, it takes too long, you end up just stacking them higher, and then the mountain falls apart 2 minutes after you walk away and move on with the lesson. And then all the students want to spend the next 10 minutes fixing them for you...

I finally came up with this solution from Bed Bath and Beyond, of all places:


It makes my heart happy just looking at that shelf! The smaller drums are stored in pot lid storage racks like this one: 


The larger ones are separated with a shelf like this:


I have used the hand drums with my students several times already this year, and we all love the new system! So much easier to take and put away the drums quickly. How do you store your hand drums? Share your ideas in a comment below!

P.S. Are you following my TpT store yet? Exclusive freebie for my followers coming this weekend!!


9 comments :

  1. Omigosh - I love this! I have been struggling with what to do about my hand drums. I tried stacking them or placing them in one another and pretty soon - boom, crash, a big mess and chaos ensues. Thank you for this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Glad I could help. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. This is a BRILLIANT idea as always Elizabeth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it useful! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  4. I remember the first time I saw this post--such a great idea! Thanks for sharing :) #fermatafridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still in love with this storage solution years later :) Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  5. If you have wall space you can buy a small pack of hooks and hang them using binder clips on the drums as the holder. You do not need to remove the binder clip when playing the drums and students can easily grab and put them away. I made a collage low to the ground. They look really pretty too. I also put binder clips on my big books, and stack of flash cards to hang or anything that I could fit them on to eliminate things on the floor. The hooks were inexpensive and very effective. I used the ones you can screw into the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen pictures of some rooms with drums hanging like that and it looks super cool! For those who have more wall space than shelf space, it's an awesome solution- thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete