Image Map

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Female Musicians for Women's History Month (and beyond)

I honestly have never been intentional about doing anything to specifically recognize Women's History Month in my classroom because it falls at the same time as Music In Our Schools Month, but I have been making a conscious effort for years to make sure female musicians of all types are represented in the examples I share, and this year I have been working with my district music department team to highlight some female artists this month. Here are just a few of my favorites to highlight with elementary and middle school students!

1. Germaine Franco

She wrote the score for the movie "Encanto" and was recently nominated for an Academy Award.



She is a prominent percussionist from Scotland who is also hard of hearing.



She is currently the conductor of the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra.



She was a Cuban American singer often called the "Queen of Salsa".



She is a hip-hop producer who has worked with Mariah Carey, Drake, Jay-Z, and many other artists.


Of course there are hundreds of other amazing female artists that would be excellent examples to feature- if you have more favorites please leave them in the comments! Besides just featuring female musicians, there is a lot we can do to respect, reflect, and respond to the needs of our female students- you can read my previous post with more thoughts on that here.

No comments :

Post a Comment