Image Map

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Teacher Tuesday: Recorder Karate sheet music organization

Welcome back to Teacher Tuesday! I hope you all are having a fantastic start to the week!

Along with many others (as evidenced by the many pins on Pinterest related to the topic), our district has adopted the "recorder karate" curriculum to use with our 3rd graders in general music class. I have my own opinions about the merits and drawbacks of the curriculum, but today I want to talk about an idea I stumbled on last year to keep up with all the sheets of music for students to use when they are working on earning their belts (if you don't know about the program, you can read about it here). I used to just keep a file folder with each of the songs in belt order, and when a student passed a belt I would pull out the next song and hand it to them. But that takes up precious time when I could be listening to or helping another student, and it means I have to keep up with a LOT of papers! Enter my new system:


I have this big magnetic chalk board at the back of my room, so I stole obtained some mailing envelopes from the school secretary and attached a piece of construction paper to the back of each one, labeled with the belt color. On other side of the envelope I put some adhesive magnet dots to help them stay on the wall. Then I put all the corresponding papers in each envelope and put them on the wall, with a big magnet on the envelope flap, in belt order.

I really like this system because the students can see where they are in the belt rankings, and they can easily go and get their next paper when they pass a belt without me getting it out for them. It is also something colorful to have on the walls, and the younger students always ask me what it is for (and I tell them that they can find out in 3rd grade, which just infuriates them and makes them want to ask the 3rd graders what they are doing!).

I was also able to put the recorder fingering charts up next to the belt songs. I started with just B, A, and G and added more as students started working on higher belts with more notes in them. If you want the same fingering chart posters, you can find them here from Marti Chandler.

I have plans to spiffy these up a bit to make it pretty, but I love the basic idea of hanging the envelopes and labeling them by belt color. It has definitely made my life easier while we are doing the program in class!

Do you have any tricks for keeping up with all the sheet music for recorder karate? Share your tips in the comments!

8 comments :

  1. Yay! Those fingering charts are from my TpT store! Glad you like them! Nice setup! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your store, Marti, and I love those fingering charts! They are clear, easy to read, and I love that they match the boomwhacker colors :) I already had the link to the item in your store in the post so I also added your name in front of the link to make it easier for people to find you :)

      Delete
  2. I never realized this before, but we did the same thing. I would keep folders hanging with the sheet music for the next belt. It made everything so much easier when the kids didn't have to ask, they could just go and get it :) #fermatafridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wonder if I should move to a more stream-lined hanging folder system, especially now that I am using up the rest of that wall space... The nice thing about these envelopes, though, is that they can take just one envelope off the wall and get what they need, and they don't accidentally put a sheet in the slot in front of the label instead of behind etc. like I fear would happen with a hanging folder system (the ones where they are all hanging down on top of each other).

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I have been trying to really get my recorder curriculum down to a science and this might help! #fermatafridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has helped make my job so much easier- hope it helps! :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE ideas about how to get organized! Thanks for sharing! #fermatafridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :) This system has really made my job easier. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete