Image Map

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Indigenous American Resources for Music Teachers

As someone who did not grow up in North America and does not have any Native American heritage in my family, I have been on a constant learning journey for the last two decades since moving to the United States to learn more about Indigenous music, and appropriate ways for me, as an outsider, to share it with my students. I still have so very much to learn, but today I wanted to bring you along on my learning journey by sharing a few helpful resources I have found for non-Native people to find music and cultural information that is appropriate for us to share in our classrooms.

1. Culture Bearers

I know firsthand that this can feel like a frustrating answer when you hear people say to reach out to your local tribe/ nation for information and resources, but it's true: there is no substitute for connecting with local people and organizations that can directly advise you on songs and information from your local indigenous communities and what is permissible for you to share as an outsider, point you to people and resources you can use, and maybe even come in to share with your students themselves! It took me several years to even find connections myself but it is imperative that we make the effort to do so.

2. Pow Wow Information

One of the first thing I introduce my students to is pow wows and the dancing and music that happen in the pow wow traditions local to our area. The website www.powwows.com has a lot of helpful information and resources that are made for non-Native teachers and students, including a place to find a pow wow near you.

3. Songs and Lessons in Anishinaabemowin

Ojibwe.net is a website designed to preserve and spread the Algonquian language Anishinaabemowin. Songs and lessons designed to help people learn the language are available, including audio recordings, and these songs are appropriate for non-indigenous teachers to use in their classrooms.


4. Michelle McCauley

I have learned so much from all of Michelle McCauley's work over the years. You can find video lectures on how to use Native American music in elementary general music classrooms, how to handle Thanksgiving, and songs and dances on her YouTube channel, an ebook with accompanying music on F-flat books, and more resources online.

Of course there are so many more resources that I have learned from and have used in my teaching, but those are some highlights that, if you are a non-Native teacher seeking to incorporate music and lessons in your music classroom appropriately, are good places to start. As I said before I am very much a beginning learner in this area inviting you to join me on this important journey- please share ideas, thoughts, and resources in the comments so we can all continue to grow!

No comments :

Post a Comment