Image Map

Monday, January 29, 2018

Fresh Start 2018 Challenge: pick a room

Welcome back to the Fresh Start 2018 Challenge!

This is the final installment of my weekly series this month to try to give my home life a bit more of a New Year's kick in the pants while dealing with the reality that school is back in session and I do NOT have the time or energy for a full-on deep clean/purge. I'm making an effort this year to find small but impactful ways to make my home a priority during the month of January. So far I've tackled closetspurses, the car, and craft supplies. What an awesome journey it has been! If you feel like your home life is always getting pushed to be bottom of the priority list, or you just feel like your house could use a little refresh, I highly recommend challenging yourself to something like this!

This week's challenge is a little bit different than the others: I've decided to focus in on one room and really try to clear away all of the clutter and give the space new life.


This week's Fresh Start task: pick 1 room that feels cluttered and disorganized and spend time clearing out the space. I think most of us have that one room or area in our house that we feel guilty about every time we go in. For me right now it's my bedroom- to be totally honest I have a couple of piles of stuff waiting to be put away that have been sitting on my bedroom floor for over a year. Not cool. The problem is I always end up putting it on the back burner because of course I'm the only one who ever spends time in that room, but I often end up feeling guilty and overwhelmed whenever I walk into the room because of the clutter!

Of course as usual, I need to make sure I don't try to turn this into some major task because if I do, it's very unlikely I'll actually get it done! What I have found the most helpful for these types of tasks is to set a timer. By giving myself a set amount of time to work on it, the entire task becomes a lot less overwhelming (and I'm always surprised at how much I get done!). To get my room cleaned up, I'm going to give myself 30 minutes to clean up as much as I can, mainly focusing on finding a place for everything that doesn't have a purposeful home (like those piles on my floor!). No major rearranging furniture or deep cleaning- just clearing out the space and putting everything where it belongs.

Want to join me in this Fresh Start 2018 challenge? I'm going to be posting a photo on Instagram on Sunday of what I accomplished for the challenge this week. If you want to join me, share your own pictures and include #FreshStart2018Challenge in the description. You don't have to stick to any schedule either- join me any time! The goal is to get a cleaner, more organized home without the guilt or stress.

This has been a great way for me to force myself to set aside some time to clear things out and clean up without feeling overwhelmed. Here's to a fresh start this new year! Click here to sign up for the Organized Chaos newsletter!

No comments :

Post a Comment