Image Map

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

"Tutuca" Upper Elementary Hand Clapping Game

I recently came across a Spanish language hand clapping game that I can't wait to add to my lessons on improvisation with my middle and upper elementary grade students! It can often be much more difficult to get older students to improvise because they are so much more self-conscious, and games like this make it so much easier to get students improvising, and with this age group challenging games of concentration are always a hit! This could be a great activity to get everyone focused, or as a sort of team-building activity to get everyone listening attentively for a choir rehearsal etc as well!

The game is from an Argentinian group called Pim Pau, and it's called "Tutuca". Here's their demonstration video:

Essentially there are 4 words that each have an assigned motion to go with them. Players take turns saying a series of one or more of those 4 words, and then everyone has to repeat the phrase back with the correct motions while staying on the beat. If you mess up you're out!

The 4 words are all Argentinian foods, which I think my older students will enjoy learning about: tutuca is a puffed corn snack (learn more about it in this video), chipá is a cheesy bread (here's a quick recipe video), pororó is popcorn, and mate is a traditional tea made from mate leaves ("con" means "with").

For my purposes, I would make one small adjustment to say when students are making up their patterns, they should always do 4 beats, even if one of those beats is a rest, so the group is always counting 4 beats to know when to echo.

I will be using this game as a lead-in to my lessons on improvisation as part of the unit I teach on jazz in 6th grade. I plan to start by introducing students to the 4 different snacks by showing them pictures/ videos, then having them learn the motions associated with each word by saying the word and having them do the motion as quickly as they can. Once they can do that, I'll have them pat the beat on their legs and practice copying the patterns I make with motions. Once they can do that, I'll have students take turns making up the patterns for the class to echo, while still patting the beat on their legs. If there's time the final step would be to get in a circle and add the hand clapping on the beat, but honestly that may be a layer of complication that's not worth adding for the purpose of focusing on improvising patterns using the words.

Depending on how much time you can devote to these lessons, this could be transferred to instruments in a couple of ways: if students are working towards pitched improvisation like my 6th graders, each word could be assigned to chord tone on the xylophone for the group to echo back patterns students improvise, or if not, each word could be assigned to a percussion instrument, you can split up the class into 4 groups and give each student one of those instruments, and then students echo the patterns on those instruments.

I'm always looking for ways to get my older students focused and working together, and playfully improvising without feeling self-conscious, so I'm excited to add this to my repertoire! Have you ever heard of this game before? What other hand clapping games do you use with your older students? I have seen my students playing a game called "Tarzan the Monkey Man" that makes me cringe a little every time I hear it, so I'm also secretly hoping this one will catch on enough to replace that!

No comments :

Post a Comment